Thursday, October 27, 2016

Cultivating Christian Character

When I hear the word cultivate I immediately think of gardening. The last time (and the last time!) I tried doing a vegetable garden, I clearly remember the arduous task of cultivating the soil. Thank goodness for rototillers. But as I suspect any decent gardener will tell you, it's all about the soil. Without good soil, good luck.

In mindfulness you often hear the word cultivate, both as a verb and as an adjective. You cultivate (verb) mindfulness as in improving or fostering a deeper experience (nb: in neuroscience we might say that we are making new and stronger neural connections). Also, mindfulness, as a tool, can be used to polish or refine certain attributes (e.g., compassion). Hence, by practicing mindfulness you can produce a cultivated (adjective) compassion - a more refined compassion than you might have had previously.

In Galatians 5:22-23, we are introduced to the "Fruits of the Spirit." Jesus said, we (Christians) would be known by the type of fruit we produce ( Matthew 7:16).  And so, in Galatians 5:22-23, we are introduced to nine graces that are produced in us by the work of the Holy Spirit: love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.   In previous posts I have offered a view of spiritual formation that utilizes mindfulness practices (and their close relatives - centering prayer and Lectio Divina). With mindful meditation, I suggest, one can cultivate a more present moment connection with God. As the distractions of life are filtered out, one can potentially be more present to experience these nine graces. In other words, as I am more present and available to the Holy Spirit, I may also be more receptive to the cultivation of these fruits of the Spirit in my life. Commenting on Galatians 5:22-23, Matthew Henry says, "By describing the...fruits of the Spirit we are told what...we are to cherish and cultivate (italics mine)." The implication, I am suggesting, is that the fruits don't come to us all at once fully ripened. If indeed I can polish and refine these fruits in my Christian walk, then I de facto add more vitality to my walk with Christ.

I fully admit that these ideas are formative. I am just now learning how to practice a mindful connection to God. But I am encouraged that what I see in my own life might be enhanced even more by using mindful practices to cultivate these fruits of the Spirit. In my prayerful meditations I attempt to be more present and open to what God has in store for me. Since I already know that He desires to impart these nine fruits to me, can an enhanced openness and receptivity to them be of some benefit? As I expand awareness of my own desire to posses them fully, might that produce a more fertile soil in which the Holy Spirit can achieve it's work? Romans 12:1-2 tells us that we are "transformed by the renewing of our mind." How exactly does this transformation take place? The verse says it is within the mind. So, if I can be more mindful, more fully present in the moment, more receptive to the good gifts of God, I can potentially experience the richness of developing and refining the fruits of the Spirit.

Wish me good luck (or better, pray for blessings).

1 comment:

  1. I’ve been surfing online more than three hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It’s pretty worth enough for me. In my opinion, if all webmasters and bloggers made good content as you did, the web will be a lot more useful than ever before. Mindful

    ReplyDelete