Monday, June 6, 2016

How can the Christian benefit from Mindfulness practice

In my last post I made a simple argument for why Christians should not be unnecessarily fearful or suspect of something because another system of thought (i.e.; religion) has brought it to the forefront of our attention. We can think Christianly about things that are discovered through other than Scriptural means (what some have referred to as the "Works of God" as contrasted with the "Word of God). Miguel Cervantes (you might recognize the name- he authored Don Quixote) said, "Where the truth is, in so far as it is truth, there God is." If there is any truth in mindfulness concepts, then it rightly belongs to God and is potentially useful to me.

Neuroscience has brought us new horizons over which we can peer into the truth that may lie in mindfulness as originally postulated by the teachings of the Buddha. Indeed, it is the migration of these teachings from East to West that has given rise to the opportunity to empirically investigate some of the attested advantages of mindfulness and related meditative arts (i.e.; yoga, for instance).
And neuroscience has done just that. Brain research, aided by the advent of the MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) and its cohort the fMRI (functional MRI), has been able to show a direct correlation between those who practice mindfulness regularly and such outcomes as:

  • Decreased stress
  • Reduced symptoms of depression, anxiety, pain, and insomnia
  • Enhanced ability to pay attention
  • Increased quality of life.
It is this last one that I am particularly interested in exploring in this blog site: increased quality of life. In almost all of the studies on mindfulness, even after a very short sequence (typically an eight week training regimen in mindfulness such as used in Kabat-Zinn's Mindfulness-based Stress Reduction program), most subjects have reported  an increase in happiness and overall well-being.*
Who could argue with feeling happier and more content with their life without having to change any of the circumstances of that life? Now, I am not suggesting that mindfulness practice is the only way to get contentment (after all, none less than the Apostle Paul himself stated that he was "learning in whatever situation I am to be content." Philippians 4:11 [ESV] ). I am suggesting that it might enhance my ability to do this in some fashion.

I would like to think of this as having a more vital Christian life. And trust me on this, after 38+ years as a Psychotherapist who identified as a Christian-based provider of mental health services, I have seen many a professing Christian who did not seem to be experiencing much vitality in their lives.
Personally I like that word vitality. Dictionary.com defines it as: "capacity for survival or for the continuation of a meaningful or purposeful existence." Merriam-Webster.com adds, "the power of enduring." Is this not the very essence of the Christian life? God, the Father, through Jesus, the Son, and orchestrated by the Holy Spirit is what (in a Christian worldview) gives purpose to our existence.
Working through this same Holy Spirit that indwells us to empower us to endure (the parallel Christian concept is perseverance), God thus provides us opportunity to live a vital life.

This will be for another future post, but let me just say, in ending this post, that I am interested in exploring the notion (and hearing yours if you care to comment) that training this magnificent three pound, 2.69 square foot area-sized organ made up of over 100 billion neurons through this concept called mindfulness  (which, if it is truth, then I say with Cervantes, "there is God") and using this to bring more vitality to my walk with Christ ( I am going to term this Christmindfulness, though I am quite sure I am not the first to use the term). 

Walk with me on this path, if you will. Become a follower and "keep coming back."


* I will discuss my own experience with this in a future blog post.

1 comment:

  1. Great read Dr. Alllen. I love seeing your mindset of integration of truth that might be found outside of the Bible and the Word of God. Indeed, "all truth is God's truth."

    ReplyDelete